Friday, June 13, 2008

Wow, A Love Hangover Is Way Easier.

I interrupt the (already-haphazardly) scheduled Tour Diary in progress to deliver the following:

My previous entry was the first thing I've written totally sober in at least six months, I'm guessing.

This includes blog entries, message board comments, my handwritten fiction writing notes, anything outside of Monday-Friday, 9 to 5 work product and the occasional daytime comment on Kissing Suzy Kolber or the like.

I don't know why I seemed to involve drinking in the writing process lately. I don't know why I'm posting this now. I really don't know if this post means I'm making a conscious effort to stop combining drinking and creating, or if I was ever making the former a kind of prerequisite for the latter.

I do know that the degree of difficulty in putting something out there was no greater sober than buzzed or addled. I do know that my anxiety after what I'd posted was just as monstrous yesterday as it was in any of the previous hungover days.

I do know that I've just written this because I had to get it out there, and didn't--couldn't wait until later tonight so I could crack open a Yeungling and a Red Bull and get started.

Hmmm. As I write this, I think I'm starting to see what those liquids were really doing...

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM , Blogger Allen said...

I'd imagine that after a few combinations of alcohol and writing, you started thinking you had to combine the two. And I think that your trying to separate them now, even for just one quick middle-of-the-day post, is a Good Thing -- you don't want to get to where you feel you have to drink to get any writing done. That's bad both for your creativity and your health. I do understand feeling like you need to loosen up and get the gears cranking, but I think you can find a better way to do it!

Good job getting this out now. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home