Monday, October 02, 2006

Brainless is Better (Sometimes)

It was Sunday morning. I really needed to complete my promised NFL preview for sportsgeekz.com before the first games got underway. Obstacles arose between Thursday (my planned submission day) and Saturday night (my imaginary but firm deadline), sure, but nothing that really prevented me from spending 20 minutes and offering up something.

But, I didn't get it finished Saturday night. So, not wishing to disappoint my three readers (maybe two--I'm counting myself), I logged on Sunday morning and slogged through each point I wanted to touch on, formatted it a little, and hit "publish". Didn't organize it beyond the "as it came to me" structure, and didn't spell- (or fact-) check it. Away it went and away I went into my yardwork Sunday.

I felt good that it was done. I felt bad that I didn't do at least a quickie second or third draft. Then I re-read it this morning and decided that it's just fine; it might be in my Top Ten Proudest Writing Moments.

Sure, some of my stuff is far more clever, or poignant, or better put. Some of my posts have been more memorable to others or to me. No doubt, most of my other writings have been finished in my view and written to the best of my ability. But this one's special simply because I finished it when I didn't even feel like starting it. It's good to me because I didn't care if it was bad (or good) to someone else.

It's thoughtful because I didn't think about it too much. Have you ever seen a piece of writing that was obviously, greviously over-thought? Probably not often, because the over-thought rarely makes it to paper or a computer screen or a browser window.

I know most people would prefer quality over quantity, but sometimes quantity is the only way to get to the quality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home